Magnolia Golf Trail awarded status as a 'Southern Travel Treasure'
JACKSON, Miss. - The Mississippi Development Authority (MDA) Division of Tourism has announced the state's value-laden Magnolia Golf Trail (MagnoliaGolfTrail.com) has been named a Southern Travel Treasure" by AAA Magazine's "AAA Southern Traveler."
The Magnolia Golf Trail will be featured in the Sept./Oct. 2003 issue of AAA Southern Traveler. It was selected as a Southern treasure for its appeal and value.
AAA Southern Traveler's popular Travel Treasure series is part of each Bi-monthly issue. The magazine circulates to 175,000 AAA homes in the South.
Travelers worldwide are increasingly discovering Mississippi offers convenient access to a wealth of unique, highly rated golf venues at affordable prices, says Steve Hale, the MDAs Executive Director. It's gratifying to know that residents of the South and AAA members are being made aware of the wonderful attributes available to them through the Magnolia Golf Trail."
This is the latest distinction earned by Mississippi golf tourism. The state was named this year by "The Golf Insider" as Best Up-and-Coming Domestic Golf Destination by The Golf Insider (thegolfinsider.com).
Other recent critical acclaim for Mississippi came from Golf Digest magazine:
Of 314 Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSA) defined by the U.S. Census Bureau, the Mississippi areas of Biloxi-Gulfport (No. 64) and Hattiesburg (No. 76) were cited by Golf Digest magazine as two of the best U.S. golf areas in the recently released Metro Golf Rankings. Both Mississippi areas ranked in the top 24 percent.
Attractions contributing to Mississippi's growing popularity as the preferred golf-and-travel destination include:
• Great year-round weather and direct flights from major carriers;
• More than 140 courses that offer all price points and design varieties in five distinct regions;
• New and existing courses that garner national recognition;
• More affordable courses than most other comparable U.S. golf destinations;
• World-famous gourmet cuisine, blues music, and luxurious casino resorts offering star-studded shows;
• Family themed attractions offering everything from parks and beaches;
• Widespread acclaim from the annual PGA Tour golf tournament held in the state capital, Jackson; and,
• History and architecture, including stunning Antebellum Era mansions turned award-winning B&B venues.
• A free Golf Mississippi Travel Guide and more information are available by calling (866) 801-8551 or visiting visitmississippi.org.
September 18, 2003