Trent Jones Golf Courses
The Firestone North Course, Akron
Established in 1929 by Harvey Firestone and later acquired by ClubCorp in 1981, Firestone Country Club remains a one of a kind golf facility. It is the only course in the world to have held three televised golf events in one calendar year, -The American Golf Classic, The CBS Golf Classic, and The World Series of Golf. With its three championship level courses, Firestone Country Club is as unique today as it has ever been.
The North Course at Firestone with its beautiful lakes
and streams played host to the 1976 American Golf Classic and the 1994
World Series of Golf.
The tournaments at Firestone Country Club began in 1954 with the Rubber City Open and continued through 1959. Firestone was chosen as the site of the 1960 PGA Championship and during that memorable championship, Arnold Palmer triple-bogeyed the 625-yard, par five 16th hole, calling it a Monster. The nickname proved popular, and in time, the entire course became known as The Monster.
The American Golf Classic, initiated in 1961, began a new era of golf at Firestone. In 1962 The World Series of Golf began under its original format, and in succeeding years the course played host to many other competitions, including the CBS Golf Classic and Big Three Golf, the forerunner of The World Series of Golf.
In 1973, Firestone Country Club was the only course in the world on which three televised golf events- The American Golf Classic, The World Series of Golf and The CBS Golf Classic- were conducted in one calendar year. In 1969, the North Course, designed by Robert Trent Jones was opened. This scenic challenge was to become the site of the 1976 American Golf Classic and 1994 NEC World Series of Golf.
The North Course is an 18-hole championship course designed by Robert Trent Jones. Noted for the scenic beauty of its lakes and streams, it was the site of the 1976 American Golf Classic and the 1994 NEC World Series of Golf.
In 1994 Firestone opened its public driving range. Although the country club functions as a private club, this driving range serves as a year round public facility with heated stalls, both grass and mat tees, and a pro shop. In 1999, with the backing of ClubCorp, Firestone added a 9-hole par 35 golf course. It was named the Raymond C. Firestone Golf Course in honor of another member of the Firestone family who helped keep the golf traditions alive at the club.